Kathmandus and Don'ts!

For the first time since my A-Levels I can honestly say that my brain has reached it's saturation point! Beginning any new job generally feels like you're embarking on a big adventure, never knowing what to expect, taking one day at a time, always expecting the unexpected... I can safely say I never expected the degree of anticipation which I had on the day of my first EVER staff development meeting! Arriving like an excitable puppy was probably a shock to anybody who has sat through more than one of these meetings in their lifetime but what can I say, I enjoy all things new - dressing professionally, meeting all the new staff in one place, becoming part of an amazing community and network of all different types of people, actually feeling like a valued member of a functioning team! In previous restaurant jobs, the management expect new employees to get on with the task in hand but here at KISC, there is an abundance of people practically queuing to help you! I have been thoroughly enjoying my new professional experiences! I am looking forward to a lifetime of learning and devoting myself to whatever job God places before me.

My first ever week of teaching with a Degree under my belt has now been achieved!!!! Very surprisingly, it has been such a smooth road! All 16 kids in my class are beautiful, talented and willing to learn - any teacher's dream! They seem to be loving life and laughing at my accent every time we do a spelling test... during which I have to act like a broad American just to be understood! The class consists of a few Korean children, some English, one African, a Pakistani, and a few Nepali... It's a very multicultural class but I had to think there about their nationalities because it is so unnoticeable in the classroom; they know that they are all equal and made in God's image so they accept each others race and cultural backgrounds seamlessly. It's exciting to be an influential part of these children's world views and I can't wait to see them learn and grow over the next year!


Leaving school on the first day - so happy it went well!

My teaching assistant Amelia, and myself created a surfing theme in our Year 2 classroom, through which we taught the rules by saying 'good surfers have excellent manners', 'good surfers follow directions first time or else they fall' etc. and the children have been over the moon about this new topic of interest. At home in NI, I did not enjoy some of my teaching placements because of the pressures placed on student teachers to perform just as they are learning, but here at KISC, I feel free to explore my own teaching style and try out activities I've always wanted to with my own class, rather than conforming to another teacher's way of doing things. I'm truly blessed to have a class to call my own and God has been encouraging me through their little voices, when they say their favourite thing about Year 2 so far is their new teacher and when they thank God for you during our morning prayer times.

This is the surfing themed behaviour chart - up is best!


We started teaching on Tuesday and the week has flown! Getting to know my children for the year has really settled my previous apprehension and I can now relax into my role. 'What is important is faith expressing itself in love' - Galatians 5v6. I can't wait to express my faith with these lovely children, sharing in the hope of Christ with them! It's great that we can talk so openly about God's love for us here in such a spiritually dark country... Matthew 5v15&16 says 'Don't hide your light under a basket! Instead, put it on a stand and let it shine for all. In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.' Praise God that we can do this!

~

A 'Work out Wednesday' session has been set up in KISC for all staff to follow a cardio workout video for an hour after school... Instant regret is a phrase that springs to mind!

Sweaty workout - straight back to the classroom for AC!


Feeling like treating yourself after work outs seems to be a tradition for Amelia and I... We enjoyed each other's company outside of school on Thursday afternoon in a bakery called La Pana. It's just across the road from the school and it serves Argentinian cuisine, like Cornish pasties and this selection of sweet delicacies! This was a lovely, non-work related time to chill out and get to know each other!

After school on a Friday, it is a KISC tradition to go and play a massive game of staff football! This is a good way to let off some steam, bond with co-workers and just generally score some goals. After school, I got ready mentally and physically for the kick around...


Amelia and I after completing our first week of school together! Don't worry, I didn't wear this outfit all day!


Those who know me know that I'm the competitive type and I certainly lived up to that yesterday when I tore my ankle ligament while chasing the ball! I was once named 'No fear Nikita' when I was skiing, so I suppose I brought that to the pitch, despite being warned of the physical nature of the manly staff game!
This was the result:




Having an ankle the size of a tennis ball means this weekend is subsequently going to consist of rest and recuperation... God must've known I needed it!


First agenda for the weekend... PIZZA!

I'm now looking forward to a new week of challenges, and , again, what a privilege to be serving God in this place! I pray for the children under my direction, the staff that I'm working with and the people who need Christ in this place!


DO: Learn lots
Do: Teach lots
Do: Serve God
Do: Work out
Do: Have fun
Do: Make friends
Do: Play sports

But whatever you do: DON'T tear a ligament!


Thank you so much for your prayers and support, it means so much!

Thanks for reading again!

God Bless,
Nikita :)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a year!

Decisions, Decisions...